Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Holy water for pets: pet sitters get strange requests

And you thought you spoiled your dogs:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38282753/ns/health-pet_health/?GT1=43001


I suppose the weirdest request I've ever received was from the client who provided london broil and organic butter for her Lhasa Apso. I was to cook the meat and drizzle melted butter over it. Then cut it into bite sized pieces and hand feed it to him. Ming was 18 years old, and couldn't find the food without help. So it wasn't as weird as you might think! He also got a tablespoon of Haagen Das ice cream before bedtime every night.


Feeding raw and home-cooked diets is always a challenge. By the time you are done mixing all the ingredients and pills and supplements, it's quite a concoction. And every owner does it differently. And sometimes every dog in the household gets a different recipe.


I once cared for a bullmastiff that I had to "put to bed" every night. Literally. The dog would go to her plush pillow and lie down. I would pull her blankie over her and give her a cookie and say goodnight.


Above: Pet portrait that I painted of Ming as an old man.


Bookmark and Share
© 2010 Terry Albert. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

Terry Albert said...

A comment via email from Ming's owner, Seana:
You didn't mention that the reason he lived to be 19 1/2 was because of his excellent diet (all people food) and exercise program (walking from the bed to the food bowl and back twice or three times per day). ;)

Seriously, I loved that you immortalized my baby. Thank you.

Terry Albert said...

I used to argue with Seana that she was going to kill her dog feeding him all that fat. Her response: What? he's 18 years old, it hasn't killed him yet! Ming defies the odds...