Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How safe are cageless dog boarding facilities?

http://www.vetinfo.com/how-safe-are-cageless-dog-boarding-facilities.html

Since I operate a "cageless boarding facility" out of my home, I found the article listed above to be of interest. This is a service many pet sitters are adding to their businesses. I was happy to see the recommendations in this article, and my home fulfills the requirements listed. If you are considering offering boarding from your home, this is a good article to get you started.

Safety is the premium concern. This is not the perfect solution for every dog. Some dogs prefer not to live in a social environment, some are too aggressive, have a high prey drive, or just play too rough. A fence-jumper is probably better off in a kennel where he can't escape.

Some dogs can't be left at home alone for more than a day- they start getting bored and anxious. Then they start digging, barking, fence-jumping and chewing. These dogs aren't good candidates for pet-sitting visits because they spend too much time alone. They are perfect dogs for home boarding.

A well-socialized dog may find in-home boarding to be much less stressful than a kennel. I've had no problems with kennel cough or other contagious diseases here (I do require updated vaccines).

Once a dog has stayed here, he settles in quickly the next time and enjoys his visit. A diligent operator can run a successful home dog boarding business.

Here are some other posts I have written about this subject:

http://dearlabby.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-home-dog-boarding.html

http://dearlabby.blogspot.com/2009/10/in-home-boarding-is-it-for-you.html

http://dearlabby.blogspot.com/2010/01/hiring-independent-contractors.html

http://dearlabby.blogspot.com/2010/02/pet-vacations-offers-in-home-dog.html

http://dearlabby.blogspot.com/2008/10/pet-sitting-in-slow-economy.html

Bookmark and Share
© 2010 Terry Albert. All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked at a dog boarding facility where the dogs got to run and play 3 times a day. The facility owner did a great job of evaluating the dogs and deciding who can play with who. The staff was instructed to stay with the dogs at all times. It seemed like a cool place to board my dogs if needed.

However, one day two of my own dogs got into an unprovoked dog fight at home. It was a 'fight till death'. It was horrifying. I felt totally helpless. I tried everything to separate them. After 15 minutes I got the idea to squeeze the older dog's nostrils and cut off her air supply. She stopped "the kill" long enough for me to grab the younger one away.

I was a pet sitter for ten years and owned multiple dogs at any one time. I never experienced a dog fight like that...ever.

I vow I will never have more than one dog living under the same roof, nor will I board my little girl at a cageless facility. You never know what can happen.

Valerie Pegg said...

Great article, Terry! I'll check out the link. I have worked in 2 "doggy daycare" type boarding facilities and it was a lot of fun. One was a play all day environment, and although at times the owner made some really big mistakes, for the most part it was a great place to work. I definitely had to break up a ton of fights, but that's to be expected once in a while when you put 20 dogs in a yard at a time. I only had to break up 2 "fight to the death" fights. I imagine what the anonymous person who commented above went through with hers or his own dogs must have been a nightmare. Dog fights are truly scary things to have to be a part of. I think the key to preventing a fight is paying close attention to body language and stepping in when things are looking sketchy.
I truly love dog daycare type environments and still visit the one that I used to work in so that I can be clobbered by numerous dogs at once!

Terry Albert said...

Basically dogs that fight can't stay in a cageless facility-- it's too dangerous for the dogs and the people. Dogs who fight that are living together are another issue- uncommon, but it does happen. Usually two females, especially littermates. Related dogs may have such similar temperaments that there is a constant fight for leadership, hence fights.

Breaking up a dog fight is a dangerous endeavor. Here's one of my posts about dog fights
http://dearlabby.blogspot.com/2009/05/dont-drag-dog-by-collar.html

Amanda said...

Hello!
I am currently in the process of getting a Use Permit for our home based dog boarding business. (5 dog maximum) Our hearing date is April 20, 2010. We have worked closely with the various county officials in our area and have “all our ducks in a row” so far. The two primary concerns with my fellow residents are understandably the potential for noise disturbance, and the possible impact on their property value. I will address at length the various precautionary measures to hopefully prevent any excessive barking i.e.; Supervision at all times, lots of love and affection, long walks/hike daily, prescreening for behavioral problems etc. But what I don’t have is any information on property devaluation based on a neighboring kennel. I can understand if this was a facility with 30 dogs but this claim doesn’t seem valid in my situation. We have an acre parcel in a rural area with 18 parcels in the neighborhood. The zoning is as follows:
5 Commercial, 6 Mixed Use, The remaining are Estate Residential. Does any one have any information on similar businesses that would support the idea that these accusations are unwarranted?
Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise…
Sincerely,
Amanda