Monday, January 5, 2009

A name for your pet sitting business


What to name your business? I recommend that you choose a name that helps you market your company. In this age of the Internet, search engines will drive traffic to your web site, and the right name will help your business come up first if it contains “key words” that people are searching for. 

“Terry’s Pet Sitting” tells a potential customer that it is a pet sitting business, which is a good start. “Terry” personalizes the company, and because this is a service, you will want them to get to know you and what you offer. But you may want to hire others to work for you, so a personalized business name may not be the best idea.

“Loving Paws”, “Wags & Whiskers,” “Pets R Us” and other names are cute, but they don’t tell anyone what your business is. You could just as easily be a groomer or own a pet store.

Poway Pet Care” is my business name, and the main headlines on my web page are: Pet Sitting by Terry Albert, Daily visits in Poway and Rancho Bernardo, and Dog boarding in my home. Search engines read headlines and text, and using certain words that people search for helps you move higher up in the results that come up. 

Poway Pet Care: the name says it all – what I do and the area I serve. And it leaves open the option of hiring others to work for me, or boarding dogs , which I added a few years after I started the business.

If I had it to do over, I would say Poway Pet Sitting or Poway Pet Sitter, because that is what people type into Google when they are searching. But my friend named her business Poway-Bernardo Pet Sitting, so I didn’t want to be too close to her name.

I will talk more about how to optimize your site for search engines in future posts. 

Photo: Summer the German Shepherd and Bonnie, my sheltie, enjoy a little sunshine during the cold December days.

No comments: